Thursday, September 20, 2012

It's a Schar Thing

Bacon, Lettuce, Avocado, Tomato, Onion with Homemade Ranch on Schar Baguette

As someone who loves to cook, I am amazed at my lack of imagination when it comes to making gluten free food that travels; default setting goes straight to sandwiches.

Nothing satisfies like a sandwich.  It's the stuff of which childhood lunch memories are made.  A sandwich is quick, transportable and self-contained. 

For someone with celiac disease, a sandwich is a thing of longing.  It was one of the first and one of the few things I miss.  Not the first; beer being the first.  I can barely type the word 'beer' with out pangs of angst.  Beer first and then, sometimes sandwiches.  See, it takes over.  This blog entry is not about beer.   

I don't miss any particular type of sandwich, it's the comfort, the shape, the familiarity, the ease of making a meal.

Sure I make lettuce wraps now.  Sure I've gotten better at packing left-overs for on the road meals but every now and again I want long for a sandwich.

Many of the sliced gluten free breads leave me cold (and gritty).  I do love Gluten Free Houston's Millet Sour Dough but some sandwiches call for heft like this one:

That picture was taken in La Ferté-Bernard, pre-gluten free me and that is the type of sandwich that comes to me in my dreams.  I thought it was gone from my life forever...

...until my friend found gluten free Schar bread hiding in our local HEB.  She picked up some of their classic white rolls for me to try.  They are wonderful and so I went to buy more.  That's when I found this:

Baguettes!  Gluten free baguettes!  They look and act just like a baguette should!  I've used this bread toasted and slightly warmed.  I've even bitten off a hunk of it right out of the bag.  I may even try to make french toast with it soon.  It's good.  It feels right.  It satisfies my longing.

 
I'm still looking for whole food, grain free options for my dietary mainstays.  But sometimes nothing can beat a Schar thing. 

7 comments:

  1. I have seen them in the store, Kim, but wondered if I would like them. I did not care for the dinner roll they make, but maybe I will give them a try.
    I love a good "sub" sammy.

    (this is AFTER the next 2 weeks of course-- as I am valiantly trying to stick to my promise to the G dude. --the no-booze part is the hardest LOL)

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dear (Irish)Heart!

    The dinner rolls were a bit much for my liking too. However, the baguettes are near perfect when heated. Matter of fact, I just got two loaved for garlic bread tonight.

    Only 2 weeks left?!? You were so brave to stand up in solidarity with the Dude. I kicked the dirt and examined my shoes on that one. As I have good friends who eat paleo, I keep thinking that is where I am headed. But just like I'd rather ease into the pool rather than belly flopping... I'm having to work up to it.

    (I hear you on the booze! lol!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. drool.......garlic bread. yum.

    see, now I was raised in New England, where the ocean water is turn -yer-skin-blue cold--so, we learned to just plunge right in head -first, lose your breath momentarily and have zippy chest pain, and see exploding stars inside your brain for a second, just to get it over with ...and start swimmin'.

    I have friends who are paleo too--and I tried it briefly...it think it is over-rated. IMHO (and boring as watching paint dry)

    Have you read Melissa Jory and Peter Bronski's book The Gluten Free Edge? Food for thought. Pun intended. :)

    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not read that! But I will look into it, for sure!

    Debating on having my book club read something about food allergies or celiac. Years ago we read Fat Land: How Americans Became the Fattest People in the World, so they would probably be receptive to more food literature. Maybe some Michael Pollan? Or 'Don't Kill the Birthday Girl".

    Have any more suggestions?



    http://www.amazon.com/Fat-Land-Americans-Became-Fattest/dp/0618380604

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does the topic have to be about wheat or food allergies, or just food-related ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the Art of Eating by MFK Fisher...or anything by her for that matter.

    most books regarding celiac? I have not read anything myself worthy of a discussion group --too technical and medical.

    I have to write one mebbe ;)

    ReplyDelete