Monday, October 1, 2012

Who All Seen the Leprechaun, Say "Yeah"

 


 

A few weeks back we stopped in a little pub between water polo games.  They had a great beer selection on tap, so I asked if they had any gluten free beers.  The bartender said they didn't have beer but they had a new hard cider on tap that came from a local business. 

I was skeptical.  Ciders tend to be too sweet for my taste.  I'm a beer girl; present tense even though I can't have gluten beer anymore. 

She handed me a glass of cider that was drawn from the tap and said, "It's called 'Leprechaun'.  The company is here in Houston.  I think you'll like it.  It's not too sweet."

I tried it.

I'll try anything, especially if it tugs at my jingoistic pride for all things Texan AND makes homage to my Irish roots.

In the eloquent words of Ana Steele, from the book I call Fifty Shades of Meh,  "Holy cow!"

It was good!  Not just, "I'm-drinking-this-because-I-have-to" good but really, really good!

It reminded me more of a sparkling wine than a cider.  I later read that champagne yeast is used rather than beer yeast in the brewing.  That probably accounts for the slightly drier feel this cider has compared to others.

But it was only a sample.  Would a whole bottle of it be as tasty?

Excited to see that the company has grown from tap-only distribution to having stock in stores, I found some at HEB.   

I've enjoyed every bottle I've purchased so far.  It's not beer but it doesn't have to be beer.  It's good on its own merit.  It  pairs well with spicy foods, (gluten free) pizza, salads, hot summer nights and crispy fall weather. 

The only problem I can find with this cider is that every time I open one my mind goes straight to this...



If you get a chance to try Leprechaun, let me know what you think.

Bottoms up or should I say, "I want the gold!  Show me the gold!"?

13 comments:

  1. By the way, I know I spelled amateur incorrectly... it's part of the shtick:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. ......and who doesn't love shtick!!

    BTW I have seen leprechauns. They look nothing like the stereotype.
    I will pass this review on to the hubs. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Dear Heart!

    I'm not sure which state you are in, but if you can find this cider I recommend it highly!

    My husband said he bought me two today and put them in the fridge... but everytime he opened the door and the light came on, they disappeared!

    More shtick. Glad you love it!!

    I do believe in leprechauns and fairies and fabulous gluten free irish sisters!

    Thanks for visiting me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went "ba- dum - bum!" like a drum/cymbal crash in my head... after your shtick bit...:)

    What can I say? call me a silly shtick-loving sister...if you can say it without shlurring.

    I'm in NY, but I grew up in BAHSTON and have visited the old sod many times--where fairies and leprechauns romp freely. My Warrior princess avatar, which I use on celiac.com and around the internet is Maeve, queen of the fairies. She is more exotic looking than I am and looks far more menacing.

    I like visiting you! You have a sense of humor! Me like. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know what? on closer examination, YOU look a lot like Queen Maeve-the hair and all!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that I were a warrior princess!

    But I am Irish. My bio mom came from the Blessingtons and Bolles. The mother who raised me was half Irish/half Cajun--what a combo!

    A very dear Virgo friend asks where she can get some of my fairy dust magic. I think magic is where you make it... but it doesn't hurt to have some help from our ancestors. ;)

    Tongue twister came out like this:
    Shilly Schick loving sheister

    ReplyDelete
  7. when I said it aloud, it sounded like

    shiply stick leven shi--ter

    but I had been drinking at the time.

    Yowzers! half Irish/half Cajun....fantastic combo! good food, folklore and enough superstitions to make life exciting. LOL

    Magic is weaved, I believe, but yes, having some dust in yer back pocket (or in yer bones) makes it easy. ;)

    I am only 1/4 Irish, BTW --I'm also French Canadian, German and Armenian (or as my Dad said, a beautiful mutt )--- but the Irish part is concentrated in my heart.

    And I am married to a big Irish guy with blue eyes I could swim in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi dear IrishHeart!

      This last line just melts my heart! I bet you love that big galoot.

      Armenian! I love the Armenians!! Would you believe there used to be an Armenian Festival in my hometown? My dad (a festival lover) brought me to it several years in a row. OH! I remember the food and the dancing.



      Delete
    2. food !! dancing!!....where? I'm there!! LOL
      so where is your hometown?

      Delete
    3. Houston! Which is a hot-bed for gluten free entrepreneurialship. We're home to Little Soya, Gluten Free Nation and Leprechaun Cider!

      Delete
  8. Makes me wanna hop a plane! ;)
    Never been to Texas. But there's always "someday"

    ReplyDelete
  9. I dream of a giant celiac get-away where we all convene here http://www.woodlandsresort.com/

    or here
    http://www.magnoliahotels.com/houston/hotel-photos.php

    *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  10. well, those places don't look too shabby!!! LOL If you arrange a celiac convention, food guaranteed to be safe....I'll come!! :)

    ReplyDelete