Wednesday, April 18, 2012

What Would You Do-oo-ooh for a Klondike Bar?

I eat ice cream from time to time, but I don't usually crave it or get excited about it. But today, the last Klondike single was calling my name from the freezer.

There's nothing on the single that tells you what's in the bar so I got online to find out the gluten free status of the Klondike original bar. There was nothing concrete on the celiac pages or the Klondike site. I did see mention of the company that makes the product: Unilever.

I decided to call Unilever directly. A very helpful lady told me on their end that all 'allergen' ingredients are plainly listed on all their products. Gluten ingredients (wheat, barley, rye, malt, oats, etc) would be clearly labeled...except I didn't have the box. I was just holding the last, lone bar in my hand.

She dug a little deeper and read, not only the entire ingredient list, but also the processing information. The conclusion? The bar is gluten free (for now).

That's what I did for a Klondike bar.

3 comments:

  1. The packaging does say maltodextrin and: If you're obsessed with reading labels, then you've probably come across the ingredient maltodextrin. Sounds like some type of sugar, but is it safe to eat? It'll settle your mind to know that this common additive is an easily digestible carbohydrate made from rice, corn, or potato starch (celiacs beware — it can also be derived from barley or wheat). It's made by cooking down the starch, and then acid and/or enzymes break the starch down even further.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying really hard to make my diet heavier on the whole foods side. It's becoming less and less frequent for me to eat foods with additives but this Klondike had to me eaten!

      Thank you for the information on maltodextrin. How do you feel about consuming maltodextrin?

      Delete
  2. I would just watch which flavor you have because they have ones with cookies and cream and ones with pretzels, which i would assume would not be gluten free, but regular klondikes seem to be fine. I am newly diagnosed and trying to learn all this stuff.

    ReplyDelete