Friday, June 1, 2012

Happy Gluten Free Anniversary To Me!


It's been a year. 

June 1st of 2011 was the day of my endoscopy.  It was the day I decided to give up gluten, before I even got my test results. 

It was the start of a new life.

Within days of eliminating gluten from my diet, I started feeling better.  I could not believe how the seemingly unrelated health issues that bothered me for years started to resolve themselves-- just by changing my diet.  By time I went back to see my gastrointerologist, I didn't care what the endoscopy said. 

"I know you just told me I have a life long auto-immune disease, but thank you." I said to my doctor when he confirmed that I did, indeed, have celiac disease. 

He looked me square in the eyes, stared at me for a minute then said, "You're not crazy." 

I almost started to cry.  I had been told nothing was physically wrong with me for so long, that I was starting to believe it was all in my head.   

I started coming out from under a fog a year ago and I never want to go back. 

I never want to go back to:
  • Constant fatigue
  • Snoring
  • Chronic sinus infections
  • Sleep apnea
  • Unexplained weight gain
  • Aching joints
  • Endometriosis
  • Irrational food cravings
  • Feeling hangry (a bad mix of hungry and angry)
  • Dry eyes
  • Itchy scalp
  • Yearly strep infections
  • Mouth ulcers
  • Puffy face
  • Brain fog
  • Backne (you know, acne on your back)
  • Hair loss
  • Chronic rash on my chest
  • Bloated stomach
All of these issues cleared up or started improving as soon as my body cycled out the gluten in my system. 

I'm still recovering from being dismissed and discounted for so long. 

I'm not going to get back the fourteen plus years searching for what was wrong with me. 

But I have this year and the years ahead of me.  I have the knowledge of what 'healthy' feels like. 

It feels pretty darn good! 

I've had immeasurable support from my family and friends these past twelve months.  I have seen continued resistance from those trained in Western medicine; doctors refusing to hear that celiac disease doesn't always follow their flow chart to digestive symptoms. 

This has been a year of learning, healing, trials and triumphs. 

It's been a good year.

Do you remember when you first went gluten free?  Please share your journey with me.

4 comments:

  1. I am so very happy for you, Kim!! Congratulations on a wonderful, healthy year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam! I'm so glad to finally know what was wrong with me. I know you're a 'no grain, no pain' believer!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations to you Kim! I would share my story but it would be the same. I know the feeling of thinking I was crazy, I even went so far as to have a brain MRI, only to find out all results are "normal" It wasn't until I visited my Nutritionist, that I realized what was "normal" and "healthy" really felt like. I am happy for you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ronnie, thank you for all the support. I'm glad you found out what was going on with you too!

      Delete