Monday, June 11, 2012

Getting My Gluten FreeK on at the Mellow Mushroom

Headed to Austin.  Meeting friends at a pizza joint. 

I was feeling pretty anxious about food arrangements so I called ahead to The Mellow Mushroom to verify that there would be nothing there that I could eat.

"Is there any chance y'all have gluten free items?  Yes?!?  You have a menu of six pizzas and I can custom order one if I want?  Can you tell me how you prepare the gluten free pizzas so I can determine if I would be able to eat it?" 

The guy on the other end sound very excited to be able to tell me about the special measures they take to assure the gluten free pizzas are guarded from cross contamination:
  • The cook removes their apron, washes hands, puts on new gloves and a new apron.
  • The pizza is assembled in the 'cooler' with fresh ingredients.  The other pizzas are made up front
  • A screen is placed on the stone so that the crust never touches it.
He sounded so confident and reassuring that I felt confident and reassured...

...but I still asked my server the same questions when I got there.  She told me all the same steps they would take to keep my pizza gluten free and dare I say, she almost looked excited about my special requests!  No blank stare, no huff, only reassurance!  Then she brought me an extensive gluten free menu that reiterated their cross contamination precautions. 

I ordered the Kosmic Karma and mellowed out until the pizza came. 

That's when I freaked out!  It was beautiful: fresh basil, fresh tomatos, fresh pesto and feta cheese!  The crust was gluten-free-good: not gritty, not gooey (I still miss the chew of glutenous crust).  The toppings placed it over the top.  I ate half of it right then and there!!

Best part about that pizza?  I didn't wake up with Lady Gaga claw hands this morning! 

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try their crust. We are pretty far from the one in Austin, but It's on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Their crust was good, but the toppings are what made the pizza. Actually, it was the uber-reassurance that they were doing everything possible to keep the pizza free of cross contamination that made it so delish. The fear of being glutened is bad seasoning for any food! They made me feel confident.

    As an aside, I just tried the GF pizza at B.J.'s Steakhous. I loved it too-it was thinner and 'chewier'. I have no signs of being glutened from it. Perhaps there's a B.J.'s close to you?

    ReplyDelete