Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The Beatles, Maureen O'Sullivan and the Gluten Dude



When The Beatles were in India, one of their ashram mates was Prudence Farrow, sister to Mia and daughter of one of my favorite actresses, Maureen O'Sullivan.  Apparently Prudence took the whole 'get-closer-to-God' thing a little more to heart than the Fab Four.  She would spend all day meditating in isolation trying to transcend her earthly reality.  John Lennon wrote the song "Dear Prudence" to encourage her to socialize more with the group.

What in the WORLD does this have to do with being gluten free?

Hold on tight--my stream of consciousness can be like a whitewater run.

My favorite celiac blogger, the Gluten Dude, had a bad experience at PF Chang's.  He blogged about it and PF's sent him a gift card to, I don't know; make getting glutened more cost effective?  At any rate, the dude went altruistic with the peace offering and is giving the card away.  To be entered in his drawing, all you have to do is write a letter to "Dear Gluten". 

Introspection is a good thing, but the reality of living with Celiac Disease is isolating enough.  In order to transcend the experience, we have to pull together.  Like John Lennon coaxing Prudence from her room, the Gluten Dude asks other celiacs to come out and play. With acerbic wit, candor and a touch of rebellion, he's sharing his journey.  He's enticing the celiac community to do the same. 

Still wondering how The Beatles, Maureen O'Sullivan and the Gluten Dude ended up in the same stream of thought?

Simple.

'Dear Gluten' sounded too much like 'Dear Prudence' in my head.  It just spiraled out of control from there...



Dear Gluten (Sung to the tune of Dear Prudence)

Dear Gluten, won’t you get out my way?

Dear Gluten, out of my life you’ll stay
I’ve wizened up, I’m through with you
Barley, Malt and Rye grains too
Dear Gluten, won’t you get out my way?

Dear Gluten, I finally realized
Dear Gluten, fog lifted from my eyes
My rash is gone, my joints now spring
You muddled up most everything
Dear Gluten, I finally realized

Doctors give run a round
(Round, round, round, round ,round
Round, round, round, round, round)


AhhhhAhhhAhhhAhhh
Dear Gluten, you’re going in the trash pile
Dear Gluten, by you I’m not beguiled
My energy I will regain
So in my house you can’t remain
Dear Gluten, you’re going into the trash pile

Dear Gluten, out of my life you’ll stay

Dear Gluten it’s a brand new way
I’ve wizened up, I’m through with you
Barley, Malt and Rye grains too
Dear Gluten, won’t you get out my way?

No comments:

Post a Comment