Wednesday, February 29, 2012

I'd Rather Be Gluten Free Than Iron a Shirt


I have some wonderfully supportive friends and family* who are helping me, at least tolerating me, in these first early months of living with Celiac Disease. 
 
They seem to accept my random gluten facts and rants as another phase of my penchant for information gluttony.  They've taken my Anthony Bourdain watching, orchid growing, homeschooling, bread baking, P.J. O'Rourke reading obsessions in their stride. 
 
But gluten?  Gluten may be here to stay. 
 
And there is one friend who is strapped in next to me on this crazy ride.

We call her the good witch of the North; since she's from Canada, eh?  This magical woman has bought gluten free cook books, made me gluten free goodies, experimented with the elusive gluten free baguette and more. 
 
Just today she brought me a recipe for some crazy easy, crazy delish flax muffins (I promise to share them in a blog).  With the muffins she brought her special brand of wisdom:

 We make our choices and most of us do exactly what we want to do... if not, I would iron more often.
Karen said so perfectly how I feel about facing the challenges of an autoimmune disease. 

I am the maker of my choices.  I am not, nor ever will be, a victim of circumstance.  I may not have chosen this challenge but I can definitely choose my attitude about it:

I am embracing my gluten free life in some very wrinkled clothing!


*To all my fabulous and jealous friends, you know who you are, I will blog about you too.


3 comments:

  1. I resemble the "fabulous and jealous friends" remark and will be avoiding this blog until further notice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I decided to start at the beginning of your blog entries and I am glad I did.

    If there is one entirely useless chore -- it's called ironing. In 30 years, I have broken that thing out only for one reason: to iron a fancy shirt for a funeral.

    I'm with you--happily gluten free and living in no-iron tops.

    Celiac does not define us or confine us, kiddo. We rock this thing.

    I love your attitude!!

    ReplyDelete