Sunday, March 4, 2012

Rainbow-on-a-Stick

Who doesn't love food on a stick?

Sticks give food the flavor of festivals and fairs. It's portable nourishment. You don't have to miss any of the excitement while you eat!

The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo is happening right now. Man, I love the rodeo; not the agricultural aspect, but the plethora of food-on-a-stick it brings to town. Why, there's even an award given at the rodeo for this type of food. It's called, 'Best Food-on-a-Stick'. There you can find corn dogs on a stick, pizza on a stick, popcorn on a stick, fried cookie dough on a stick and chocolate covered cheesecake, you guessed it, on a freakin' stick! They have chicken fried bacon too!?! It's not on a stick, but it deserves a mention.

My heart sank a little when I thought of the rodeo this year. You see, most of these walking treats are seasoned with or dipped and deep fried in gluten. Death-on-a-stick anyone?

Celiac Disease has turned the rodeo into one of those scary carnival movies for me; clowns reaching for me with glutenous hands, pushing me backwards until I fall into a pit filled with wheat flour. I see their painted smiles as a white cloud of gluten envelops me. Fade to black.

But I don't like staying on the dark side for long. I like my clouds with silver linings (not flour). I like rainbows with, or without, a pot of gold at the end. I'll take my rainbows-on-a-stick!

Can you help me think of gluten free foods to put on a stick?

1 comment:

  1. These rainbows are beautiful!!
    I like:
    --marinated lamb cubes w/peppers & onions (or steak or chicken) on a stick.
    --balsamic marinated Cheese squares, baby tomatoes and basil leaves on a stick.
    --GF apple fritters on a stick
    --scallops, bacon and fig jam glaze on a stick
    just off the top o'me head

    ReplyDelete