Friday, March 30, 2012

When the Red, Red Robin Comes Gluten Free Bobbin' Along

My daughter and I stopped at Red Robin today for our yearly post-doctor lunch.  We live in Houston and went to the Westchase location at Richmond and the Tollway.

The waitress brought me their allergen list and told me the manager would be over talk to me about my choices and to take my order.  The manager did so promptly and this is what he explained to me: 

They have gluten free buns that are individually wrapped in their own tray.  The buns stay in the tray for toasting and the sandwich is built in the same tray. He assured me they would switch gloves for assembling.

Their fries are gluten free and this location has a dedicated fryer.  The oil is filtered separately and never rotated through other fryers.

Eating out is always risky, but what more reassurance can you ask for?

I ordered a Guacamole Burger and Fries.  This is what the manager brought me:


 

He apologized for bringing my hamburger before my daughter's.  The reason it came early?  Because the manager walked the order through the kitchen and oversaw it's preparation personally, during a busy lunch hour no less!

I still squeal when I look at it. 

It was good; not the kind of good where you have to convince yourself it tastes good because it is your only option.  It was REALLY good; the kind of good that you could feed it to your gluten-free critics and they would never know the difference.

So, to the Westchase Red Robin in Houston: THANK YOU!  You let this gluten freeky girl eat at ease!

When the red, red robin comes bob, bob, bobbin' along
There'll be no more gluten when he starts a servin' his old sweet bun
Eat up, Eat up you gluten head
Get up, get up and go get fed,
Cheer up, it's gfree bread 
Live, love, laugh and be happy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment