Sunday, May 20, 2012

Eating Gluten Free at a Restaurant Doesn't Have to Be a Crêpeshoot

There are reports that a biker gang has been on the roll to the local crêperie on Sunday mornings.  Be on the look out for them.  Among them are:
 Texadians throwing gang signs.
They are riding dirty with big fat tires and are looking for a java fix. 
It's been substantiated that there is a Celiac among them and she's packin'.  Eyewitnesses confirm that she's carrying her own gluten free crêpes and she's not afraid to take them out in public



I've been wanting to ride to our local shopping village for quite some time.  A group of us decided to head up one Sunday for breakfast and coffee. 

I wasn't going to miss out on the first group bike ride even if the destination was a crêpe shop.  I didn't think they'd have any gluten free offerings.  And I was pretty sure if they did, I still wouldn't eat them because it is a small, flour filled environment. 

None the less, I went and had a great time.  I had a cup of coffee and a bag of chips. 

There's somthing about eating outside that makes all food taste better.  The company, the weather and the setting made that one of the best bag of chips I've ever eaten.


This week, we decided to roll again. 


When I was trying to talk myself into getting out of bed, the idea came to bring my own gluten free crêpes.  It was awesome! 

Crêpes, fresh strawberries, whipped coconut 'cream', scrambled eggs, Sriracha sauce and the magic combination that made those the best crêpes I've ever eaten!


Quick Gluten Free Crêpes

1 large egg
Water

Heat a no-stick fry pan that is the size of the crêpe you want to make.  Add a slice of butter to the pan and melt.

  Mix the egg and pancake mix until it makes a paste.  Slowly add water in tablespoon increments and mix.  Keep adding water until the batter is very thin (almost the consistency of whole milk). 

Pour batter into hot fry pan until there is a thin layer in the middle.  Swirl the pan to make the batter run from the middle of the pan out to the edges.  Cook on medium heat until the top of the crêpe  looks mostly dry.  Flip and cook until done.

Remove from pan and fill with your favorite gluten free ingredients:
Strawberries
Bananas
Nutella
Peaches
Peanut Butter
Raspberries
Honey
Whipped Cream
Eggs
Ham
Sauteed Mushrooms
Carmalized Onions
Spinach
Brie
Feta Cheese
Pesto
Chicken
Goats Cheese
Orange Marmalade

THEN GO EAT IT OUTSIDE!

3 comments:

  1. Kim,
    You embrace life as it is-- minor obstacles and all-- and not how you wish "it could be".
    No pity party for you (those are useless anyway--especially if no guests show up, am I right? ). Denying ourselves a chance to spend time with friends because of celiac would be just plain silly.
    I miss my best friend --she lives 1500 miles away. I would go and eat rocks just to be with her.
    Life for everyone often requires having a "Plan B" sometimes --and having celiac means ALWAYS having a plan B, C, or D even. You did a very wise thing.
    Your plan B made my mouth water.
    Kudos!


    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, never a pity party... but I have thrown a hissy fit or two. Luckily they don't last long or fit me quite right.

    I feel like throwing one right now. My dear friend mentioned in this post had to move home to Canada. She just came down for a quick visit to sell her house here. I dropped her at the airport today.

    Like to join me for a bowl of rock soup?



    ReplyDelete
  3. ARRGH!! and darn it!--in case this is a family blog

    (me throwing hissy fit in your honor)

    sorry, hon:(

    My two closest pals live 1500 and 2700 miles away from me and it seems unfair.

    yum...rock soup....

    ReplyDelete