Monday, May 7, 2012

Oh, Oh Domino's! Not Your Gluten Free Best

Domino's has announced they now offer a gluten free pizza crust. 

To their credit, they are being very honest about the fact that their kitchens are not gluten free and that there is no special prep areas for their structurally gluten free pizza. 

But it only takes twelve seconds of this video to turn me gluten freeky!


Where has that ladle been?!?!?  Do all the pizzas go on the same pans?!?!?!  Look at that ungloved hand reaching into the mushrooms!!!  That pizza slicer looks like a wheel of death to me...


Some studies have shown that up to 100 mg of gluten a day may be tolerated by Celiacs but as little as 10 mg can set off an auto immune response.   This picture shows you an approximation of what 100 mg of gluten would look like.  That's a Ritz Cracker**, folks...


Even the smallest amount of gluten will attack the immune system of a celiac, no matter how 'mild' you think you have it.

I know that I should not eat Domino's new gluten free pizza. What worries me is that others with celiac disease might not know that they shouldn't eat it either; or that they might be enticed by the allure of this easy pie.

My concern is that the gluten free fad is rolling so far out of control, that those of us who should never have gluten are going to get run down by bandwagoneers waving flags of gluten free products over our smushed little immune systems.
 
It's not enough to call something 'gluten free'.  It must be prepared in a separate, safe area that is free from cross contact.

Don't want to discuss it
I think it's time for a change
You may get disgusted
And start thinkin' that I'm actin' strange
In that case I'll go underground
Get some heavy rest
Never have to worry
About what is worst and what is best


Oh, oh, Domino's.


**No Celiacs were harmed in the taking of this picture. (I wore gloves and took it in our 'gluten' corner.)

No comments:

Post a Comment