Sunday, June 2, 2013

Celiac Awareness Month: Days 24-31

 
 
Day 24:  Grilled kabobs: beef, mushrooms, red onion and bell peppers.
 
Day 25: Grilled artichokes.  Cut them in half and steam for 15-20 minutes.  Use a grapefruit spoon to remove the "hair" and purple leaves in the center.   Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice before grilling.
 
Day 26:  Fresh cherries!  Cherries always signal the start of summer to me.  Tart cherries are full of melatonin, so if you're jet lagged or having trouble sleeping, try these.
 
Day 27:  A dear friend was in from Venezuela.  I loaded up my basket with the best gluten free treat I could find.
 
Day 28:  What used to be a common staple is now elevated to delicacy status.  We stopped by Gluten Free Nation and picked up a fresh loaf of Sourdough Millet  Bread and made a platter of grilled cheese sandwiches:  Smoked Provolone, Havarti and Mozzarella! 
 
Day 29:  Breakfast hash inspired by Matt Moore's Enchiladas.  I quickly sautéed spinach, mushrooms, bell pepper and onions to eat with eggs! 
 
Day 30:  Gluten Free Fail!  This was supposed to be a biscuit.  It's about as thick as the gluten free French bread I tried to make.  I don't know what I'm doing wrong.  This was from Bob's Red Mill biscuit mix.  I followed the instructions to the letter.  I'm going to keep trying, but my ego as a gluten free baker is as deflated as these biscuits.
 
Day 31:  Last two pieces of the Millet bread made a great breakfast sandwich with egg, avocado and Sriracha. 
 
Coming to the end of Celiac Awareness Month, I'm glad I recorded some of the food I ate.  It doesn't look too bad! 
 
When I was first diagnosed, I promised myself that I would focus on what I could eat safely not on what I shouldn't.  So when people ask me, "What CAN you eat?!?"  I just smile.
 
  



No comments:

Post a Comment