Monday, June 10, 2013

Estrella Damm's Consfusing Gluten Free Marketing

Should Estrella Damm DAURA and other items made with gluten containing ingredients be allowed to call themselves 'gluten free' when trace amounts remain to be ingested? 
 
There's been much needed discussion about this on the Gluten Dude's blog and a new found favorite, My Gluten Free Girlfriend.
 
Still in a downward Celiac spiral from drinking a 'regular' beer, I want to make it clear that my stupidity extends way beyond knowing how many gluten parts per million were in the beer I drank.
 
I drank the wrong freakin' beer, period.
 
Then one week to the day of having that beer I saw this post:
 
 
This is NOT gluten free beer!  It's not even gluten reduced!
 
There it was!  The exact beer that put me under; and it was being promoted on a tour for Celiac Awareness!
 
I'm not trying to excuse my actions but it seems I'm not the only one confused by the promotion of Estrella Damm products.
 
The post has since been pulled. 
 
I'm glad because in the Celiac world, misery does NOT love company!  I can't stand the thought of anyone with gluten issues drinking one of these unknowingly.
 
I'm hoping to attend this event this weekend.  I'm curious to see if Estrella Damm is there and if there is a credible representative at the table.  
 
I'll be looking for conversation not samples. 
 
 
 
 


 



2 comments:

  1. Hi Kim,
    Thanks for the mention! I'm honored you enjoy my blog. Advertising like the Estrella photo is this post makes me want to tear my hair out. Have you seen how sneaky Omission Beer is at trying to look gluten free when it is not? The ads are shocking. I wrote about it here a few weeks ago. http://www.mygfgirlfriend.com/2013/05/omission-beer-inferring-they-are-gluten-free/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your post about Omission Beer last night. Maddening!

    I hadn't really heard of Omission until the other day when a new gluten free brew company contacted me on Twitter. They're out of Portland as well and the owner has celiac disease. He said he can only have one Omission or he feels sick. I went looking for info and apparently I missed a lot of the conversation about it. That one is 'x'ed off my list!

    If you like following craft beers, the new brew co. is called Moonshrimp. Funny name but interesting story.

    ReplyDelete