Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Celiac Awareness Month: Days 10-15


 
Highlights are pretty high this time around. 
 
My friend made a trip to Gluten Free Nation and brought me presents.  Here are my favorite bites from this week.
 
Day 10:  Soup at work.  Surprisingly comforting.
 
Day 11: Ehmergerd!  This personal pecan pie from Gluten Free Nation!  Their crust is nice in the fact that it's a good crust, period.  Not just a good gluten free crust but a nice pie crust in all arenas.  And the filling!!!  The filling is perfect.  Not too much pie 'jelly' not too much nut.  I did share with the teens as 1/4 was satisfying.
 
Day 12: Stuffed jalapeños.  My friend gave me a bag full of home-grown peppers. 
 
I mixed cream cheese, paprika and minced onion and garlic for the filling.  Top it with a small piece of bacon, bake until the bacon is almost fully cooked (about 15-20 minutes) and then broil until crisp. 
 
I keep food grade gloves in my kitchen.  It's a good idea to use them when handling hot peppers.  You can work faster and rubbing your eyes is not a hazard for hours to come.
 
Another jalapeño tip?  Use a grapefruit spoon to remove the seeds and membrane after cutting in half.  Those are what make the pepper hot.
 
Day 13:  Do you SEE this?  THIS is a Chicken Pot Pie from Gluten Free Nation!  It is beyond words.  It is perfect. 
 
Day 14:  New Larabar (for me). 
 
Day 15:  Sautéed kale and celery that were getting to the point that it was eat or freeze time*. 
 
I cooked the kale, celery, garlic and onion in olive oil with garlic and sea salt.  When they were soft, I formed a 'nest' and fried an egg in the middle. 
 
Topped with Sriracha sauce it was a perfect breakfast!
 
*I freeze veggies that are on the cusp and use them for veggie soup stock.

No comments:

Post a Comment